Monday, July 9, 2007




My grandfather was born in Cuba and moved to the U.S in the 1960's. His life is a typical rag to riches story. When he moved here with his family, which is my mom, uncle and grandmother; they lived in New Jersey with family members while my grandfather worked two jobs washing dishes. My grandmother would sew clothe and also worked at a factory. They eventually saved enough money to some buy new furniture pieces and moved down to South Carolina. On the way, the truck that was taking their furniture caught fire and all of their belongings were burned. My mom recalls how hurt she felt when she witnessed the burning of their prized possessions, they managed however to savor some pieces but because of their lack of income she still had to sleep in her scorched bed. After some time however, they moved down to Miami.

No comments: